Friday, October 30, 2009
Letter 3 arrived today. Anger, frustration, and anxiousness was the extent of it over the delay in surgery, another two weeks even before his surgery evaluation, keeping him in limbo and lengthening his stay as a recruit in boot camp.
Even with the realities of boot camp he’s been immersed in these past nine days, he is so ready to prove he has what it takes to become a U.S. Marine. He wants it. He fears the opportunity will be taken from him because of this medical issue. He’s frustrated by the wait and wondering why. His desire, and what he believes to be his ‘next step’ in life toward his eventual calling, is to become a U.S. Marine.
My heart aches for him, and I remember how he asked us in his first letter, just 3 days ago, to send him scriptures. There’s nothing else I can do except write encouragements to him of the spiritual truths that took root deep within me long ago, continually watered by faith through adverse life circumstances, and daily, hourly sunned by the warmth of abiding hope. In combination, these are what prompted me to a deep passion to minister to others the principles and promises of God’s Word I’ve come to solely depend on above all else. These are what carried me into ministry like a river current and ultimately to becoming a chaplain.
I can offer little else to others – to my son – in hand with unconditional love and unwavering support. So, with the ink of a mother’s love and the consuming desire to hand to Him all the faith and hope I possess, I wrote truth to him, God’s encouraging, life-giving truths as they directly relate to his present circumstances, frustrations, and worries, which ended up covering 7-pages in his mother’s handwriting, and willing him to listen, hear, embrace those truths. Summarized in point…
- ‘THE’ Commanding Officer (our God), sees ALL and knows ALL, and
- “He who began a good work in you (my son), WILL see it through.”
- His plans cannot be thwarted.
- “Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and do not rely on your own understanding. (Circumstances are rarely as they ‘appear’ through our narrow window of perspective.) In ALL your ways acknowledge Him and He WILL direct your path.”
- “Be anxious for NOTHING, but in ALL things, by prayer and petition, let your requests be KNOWN to God, and the peace of God which surpasses ALL understanding will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” For…
- “In ALL things God WORKS for the GOOD of those who love Him and are CALLED according to HIS purpose.”
- There will be twists and turns in the road, the inability to see ahead that mandates blind faith and trust in the ONE who has your back, and your front, your sides, above and below you.
- Rest in HIM and go with HIS flow, all the while and in every thing you are doing, think on these things,
- “Whatever is TRUE, NOBLE, RIGHT, PURE, LOVELY, ADMIRABLE, EXCELLENT, PRAISEWORTHY.”
- “Whatever you have LEARNED or RECEIVED, or HEARD from me – put it into practice. And the GOD of PEACE WILL be with you.”
It will all work out, bud… just as God has designed. Because we only “see through a dark glass,” trust Him. It will all work out… I love you. Mom
Visit our web site: Moms of Marines Support